Monday, January 28

New paint job: GREEN




We've been in our house three years now and our efforts to paint each room of our house are still ongoing. We inherited a blank slate, which is wonderful. However, Ben and I both dislike painting and are pretty terrible at the task. Luckily for us, we have family members who don't mind it and are pretty amazing painters.

With the naiveté of a new homeowner, I decided to paint the smallest room in the house within the first few months of moving in. No big deal, right? Oh, so very wrong. It was then that I realized just how much I hate painting and had to call in back-up. That was midway through 2010. 

Fast forward to fall of 2011 when my amazing mother-in-law, Jane came to my rescue. She knocked out the kitchen and living room in about 36 hours collectively. I helped a bit with the living room, but not much. Then, last year, I bribed my wonderful cousin to come take care of the spare room.  So, we're averaging about a room a year thanks to the amazing family members we have that are willing to come to our talent-lacking rescue. 

Last weekend, Jane and Ben's sister Becky once again came in to save the day. While I was at work in the Statehouse, they went to work in our master bedroom. By the time I came home I was able to help with the finishing touches and keep my nephew entertained (Note: One word to describe how I feel towards parents everywhere afterwards: RESPECT.) 

We have mostly dark-stained furniture in the room with some global touches so I wanted it to be earthy and cozy. Here's how things turned out:




And a few detail shots:

Ben's area with a piece of my artwork, an Irish poem, a gold M I painted and a Wordle I made him for Valentines Day '09. That wooden contraption is a men's dressing stand I found at a thrift store. I was in love with the look and he uses it  every day!


Here's a corner of my dresser. I wasn't sure how the blue glass lamps would go with the green but I actually love it. Win.


And here's the view of the front of the room. We have weird little ledge areas throughout the house like this. This is where I need some input. Any ideas on what I can do with that space?

Overall, I'm really excited about the new color. It makes the room so much darker and more peaceful to sleep in and Ben loves the green, white and orange combo of his heritage. For all my rooms I've used Behr Premium Plus Ultra which I've found goes a long way and always comes out great! A huge thank you goes out to Jane and Becky for their help! THANK YOU!


3 comments:

Sarah said...

What about a clock and/or large vase up there on the ledge? I'm also picturing some sort of basket or basket type of tall vase to keep with the global feel. Or a pop of orange up there (big plate you could lean or vase). Ill keep thinking! LOVE the color!!

Laura M said...

Ahh, I love the bold color! It really changes the feel of the room. You guys are so lucky that you had helpers!

Lisa said...

Wow, I love it! What a great color choice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...